Its starting to feel a lot like Christmas! For the kids, 13 sleeps to go. For us, it’s 8 days of work before the year of COVID comes to an end.
Last week Coralie spoke about staying afloat with cash flow when the market is quite over the break. But leading up to Christmas there is a mad rush client’s wanting to buy, sell and settle all before Christmas and a push on getting settlement over the line before business closures.
We understand this all yo well. Just yesterday we had a 4-million-dollar purchase with a settlement date of 22 December 2020 land on our desk. We know the 22 December 2020 is the longest day of the year, but it actually gives us no more time than normal to do our job. Guess what? We will find a way to settle this matter before noon on 22 December 2020.
Here is `our top 5 tips for speeding up the process for our clients this December;
- The client should be sent to Solicitors who can review the Contract within 24 hours.
- Always under promise as there is so much that can go wrong in this period.
- Finance is always our problem! Make certain you have Solicitors and Brokers who will work together to ensure that finance is ready to go for settlement.
- Due to all the clients wanting to move in before Christmas, build a check list for everything they will be asked for prior to settlement. Having this in advance will allow for no miscommunication.
- Remind your clients that, Christmas only represents the end of the year, not the end of the world. Properties will sell after Christmas and there are plenty of buyers in the marketplace.
What happens if you don’t settle before 24th December. Your settlement will be rescheduled, this could be as soon as the next day of operation which is Tuesday 29th December. (This year the Monday is classed as the Boxing Day Public Holiday).
After the rush of December, we plunge into a relatively dormant month of January. We go from bedlam to boredom in a very short period of time.
January should be a launching pad for 2021. The five top tips for the period of boredom are:-
- Write down all of the clients who you ever sold properties to and diarise the settlement dates. The only person who has a link with the client on the settlement date is the agent. Send them a card on the anniversary of their purchase as a gentle reminder of what you have done for them.
- January may not be as quiet as other years and its time to remind buyers that this is the best time to buy a property.
- Build new relationships with other industry professionals who can build your profile, eg: Solicitors,
- Commence your social media profile.
- Build your 2021 road map. Draw a road on a page with the starting point being January and the finishing point being Christmas. Write down at Christmas where you want your business or practice to be by that date. Along that road, you should set milestones of achievement so you can measure your success and review your strategies. If you don’t know where your going, you aint going anywhere.Leverage provides a one stop shop for Agents. You can be trained, be structured by the most competent Solicitor, engage with industry leading Conveyancers and build a long-term relationship with the only firm that specialises in all areas of real estate and strata. There are numerous agents who connect with leverage to ensure their clients have a smooth transition with their buying/selling process.
It’s been a tough year, there is no reason for 2021 to be the same.