Leverage has observed a recent trend whereby real estate agents protect their commission by lodging caveats against title. Agents are doing this to protect their commission. The agent is of the opinion that, if they can hold up settlement until their commission is paid, they will be paid from the proceeds of sale.
This is a totally unlawful practice unless the agent holds any interest in a property. I’ll return to the concept of interests in a moment, but it is suffice to say that the standard agency agreement within the community is not halted interest. Therefore, the agent is lodging a caveat in on title as a strategy to hold up settlement, hoping that the money will be paid.
Let’s examine that!
The Real Property Act 1900 permits any person who holds an interest in title to lodge a caveat. Caveat comes from the Latin word “warning”. Hence, the concept of a caveat is to warn the world of another person’s interest in the property. These interests might be for example a interest in fee simple, a mortgage, lease, easement or covenant. An agency agreement does not create such an interest.
If a covenant is lodged on title, a registered proprietor can issue elapsing notice, which means that caveat will lapse within 21 days unless the caveator (The person lodging the caveat) seeks an order from the Supreme Court. This means that, the agent is lodging the caveat close to settlement so the three-week elapsing notice won’t be enough to get the property settled on time. They are hoping that, if the property needs to settle, the elapsing notice won’t be in time and they will have no need to go to the Supreme Court because of the vendor’s requirement to sell the property.
Sounds like a good idea! It comes with many risks. The agent owes a fiduciary duty to the vendor acting in their best interests. Acting in such a way leaves them liable to any damages which they may suffer. Moreover, it’s a breach of the code of practice in relation to the requirement that the agent must act fairly, honestly and professionally. Who knows who therefore runs the risk that, even if they obtain the commission, they can be sued by the vendor for any losses and be investigated by fair trading for breach of the code of practice.
The only way that a caveat it can be lodged is if a registerable interest is created. An agency agreement would have to be prepared which gives such an interest in title. The current standards agency agreements in the market place do not give the agent that form of power.
Therefore, if you are looking into lodging caveat, you run enormous risks of litigation and, I believe most importantly, your license may be in jeopardy. It’s the risk return balance which the agent will have to reach. Leverage has a matter at the moment where the caveat has been lodged which will essentially deprive him of his commission.
It might be a clever strategy, but it comes with enormous risk.

This article was written by Bailey Compton, Principal Solicitor & Director at Leverage Group.
To get in touch with Bailey, please email info@leveragegroup.com.au
What about the situation where the Seller has walked away from an initial agency agreement, moved to another agent, but the property is then sold to a Buyer introduced by the first Agent?
I’m interested in this answer as well!
If a vendors solicitor says the vendor isn’t paying commission on settlement because the agreement was breached due to the sale price being disclosed after exchange upset them (becomes public anyway). How can you stop the commission being handed to the vendor on settlement?
Hi Rachel,
Sorry for the late reply, somehow this got missed. I assume from the question the deposit was held in the solicitors Trust Account.
Unfortunately, if it is held in a solicitors trust account the agent is vulnerable. The solicitor hold the deposit as a stack for the Vendor and purchaser. If the purchaser agrees to release it to the Vendor, the agent has no protection. The solicitor does not hold the deposit on behalf of the agent.
As you will find from other articles, i am strong on the agent always been the stakeholder. If it is in the Agents Trust, the agent holds lien over the commission and can take it without anyone’s approval if the agency agreement permits. Most industry agency agreements do grant both of these protections.
My advice is have a trust and always hold the deposit.
Bailey Compton
Our agent told a buyer we had accepted 2 offers of $1.6m on property listed at $1.8m when in fact we declined offers of $1.6 and $1.65m. I only became aware of this after we eventually agreed to accept $1.6m as emails between the agent and buyer were inadvertently sent to me. Agency agreement was terminated by the agent first and then me. I finalised negotiations and we settle soon. Fair Trading somehow found no noncompliance by the agent who is threatening to caveat the property plus my home and issue a formal notice to me about the full commission. 1. Can caveats be registered? I would think the Registrar would reject them as it was a standard agency agreement 2. Has the agent acted in our best interests and is entitled to a commission? Thanks
I had an agency management agreement that was terminated without notice before going to another agent because the agent breached the Property and Stock Agents Regulation 2022 with affidavits in 3 different occasions but the agreement had a clause of caveatable interest that I was not aware of.
The amount of money he claimed for the management fees is around $1500 but he claimed much more and I refused to pay because his breach of the regulations. The agent is a solicitor too so he took the matter to the local court and put a caveat on the property, and we’re still in pre-trail. I never heard of such condition to be added in a management agreement before as you mentioned here and I rely on many sections in Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 that agent didn’t comply with the law.
A friend working in legal practice advised me that as long as there no termination clauses in the agreement I had to give a notice even his breaches made financial loss to me as well as put my investment and the tenant at great risk.
These breaches are supported by those two schedules 1 and 2; eg. 1) Leaving one tenant without paying rent for 5 weeks and 4 days without notifying me and not notifying me with a gas leak reported by one tenant! The tenant later advised me and I have an affidavit from him and 2) Now sending notice of sale when the property was previously available for sale.
The property is now for sale and if the sale failed it would be a big loss to be claimed against him if he lost the case or if he is only entitled to less fees than what he claimed, which I offered him before.
I don’t wanna submit the application for elapsing notice as he may take it further to the supreme court costing me much more money in case if I lose the original case. It cost him only application fees as he is a solicitor. So I’m leaving the caveat at it is until see the outcome of the case and then I can chase him for any loss.
Any tips, opinion or guidelines!
Thank you for the detailed background. This is a complex situation. I can provide you with some legal options for you to consider. Please call the office on 1300 438 538 and book in a consultation.
Thank you once again.